Monday 24 November 2014

Is GOP 2016 field growing?





  • Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina: "It's the hardest thing one could ever do"

  • Former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania: "I haven't made any final decisions"




Washington (CNN) -- Add two more to what's the possibly largest club in Washington: Republicans who might seek their party's 2016 nomination.


On CNN's "State of the Union" on Sunday, South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, who just a won third term, sidestepped a question from Chief Political Analyst Gloria Borger about whether he was thinking of running.


"I'm thinking of trying to fix illegal immigration and replacing sequestration. I will let you know if I think about running for president. It's the hardest thing one could ever do.


"You go through personal hell. You have got to raise a ton of money. I'm nowhere near there."





Potential 2016 contendersPotential 2016 contenders



Borger followed up: "is that a maybe, though? It's a maybe?"


Graham, however, wouldn't go any further, staring straight into the camera and answering, "it's what I just said. "


On the same program, former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, who ran in 2012 with the strong backing of the social conservative wing of the party, told Borger he was seriously thinking about doing it again.


"I'm doing everything consistent with a run in 2016, but I haven't made any final decisions."


Santorum, who won the 2012 Iowa caucuses, visited the state several times recently, including twice last month.



No comments:

Post a Comment