Friday 24 October 2014

Family awakens to firebombed home





  • Linda Bazzi's husband discovers a fire in their home in the middle of the night

  • A surveillance camera shows an individual throwing a firebomb into front window

  • She, her husband and their children are safe but their house is charred

  • "I'm scared. I'm really scared for my life right now," Bazzi tells CNN affiliate WDIV




(CNN) -- Linda Bazzi awoke in the middle of the night and found her two-story home unusually warm.


Her husband investigated and found no ordinary fire downstairs.


Their suburban Detroit house was firebombed about 1 a.m. Wednesday. Their outdoor surveillance camera captured an individual running up the front yard and throwing a Molotov cocktail through the front window, suggesting the family with four children was targeted.


"I woke up my husband, and I screamed, and I said something smells funny and the house is warm. Instantly he ran," Bazzi told CNN affiliate WDIV.


He descended three steps and saw flames.


"He screamed at the top of the lungs: 'Get the kids! The house is on fire!'" Bazzi told the station.


The fire left the Dearborn Heights home uninhabitable.


"I lost everything. Everything, everything, everything. Everything can be replaced, but I'm so happy, I'm so blessed that they didn't win: I have my children and I have my husband next to me," Bazzi said, according to the news outlet.


The house's front facade is charred, and yellow tape cordons off its front door.


"I don't know who did it. The way it seems to me (from) that video is that it is intentional. It was targeted to my house, directly," Bazzi told the affiliate. "I'm scared. I'm really scared for my life right now."


The family is hoping someone will recognize the individual in the grainy video and call police. In the tape, the firebomber throws the fiery device with his left hand.


"This, to me was, a nice community, nice area, and there have been a lot of thefts in the neighborhood and there have been a lot of break-ins. This is where I draw the line," Bazzi said.


Dearborn Heights police didn't immediately respond Thursday for a comment.



No comments:

Post a Comment